Thursday, December 12, 2013

2012: Year 5 - Work in Lagos

Sopromar Boatyard:

This was not a big year for much at all other than some cruising around the local area – lots of real relaxing.  The Captain’s wrist gave major problems when it started to seize up (from old age?) and so not a lot of work was done on the boat while we were in the Sopromar Boatyard (highly recommended), except for the following:
Feathering Propellor.  I had decided some time ago that it would be nice to have a feathering prop as most other cruisers have them but moreso in that they are much better when sailing than a fixed prop.  The Sopromar boatyard fitted it for us and it was there on our arrival for this year’s cruising.  It has worked very well and there is now very little prop walk when reversing.  It’s a German made …..
Shiny, new & it works a treat!
Fair Weather Awning.  While couped up in the Sopromar boatyard waiting for my wrist to right itself there was an opportunity to do some sewing.  Captain and crew decided to make up a light weight awning – easy to put up and take down, something we tended not to do with our much bigger and heavier sunbrella awning, while at the same time keeping the sun off us and the boat.  Light weight shade cloth seemed suitable and, within a few days on ‘the thumper’ , we had our new light awning .  It immediately made life on board much more comfortable as the boat became much cooler inside while also allowing unimpeded movement around the deck. 
Keeping cool under the new awning
Topsides, Coachouse and Cockpit Polish.  I lashed out and paid for a thorough polishing by the yard.  Young blokes got stuck into it and did a great job, better than I could have done in four times the length of time.  They have all the right equipment, expertise and youth to do a great job.  Highly recommended and it was a reasonable rate, plus they also carried out some odd surface repairs to the gelcoat on the topsides. (I’ve just found out, since I’ve been here in 2013, that it’s much cheaper in Turkey!!!)

Bruce/Dinghy Repairs.  Bruce, our erstwhile RIB with 15 hp Yamaha 2-stroke outboard, has been fantastic.  Not surprisingly, after some four years use now, it had developed a few leaks.  The fibreglass floor had some hairline cracks in the gelcoat, which were temporarily repaired in Trinidad some three years previously, but these repairs had started to leak water into the void between the bottom of the boat and the floor.  I determined to fix this permanently so fibreglassed some tape to the areas that needed attention.  I determined these by inserting the air pump into the bung and blowing air into the void – one can quickly identify the leaks by the air leaking out the cracks in the bottom gel coat.  I marked them and then fibreglassed them, sanded them, followed by some sticky paint.  All good and Bruce’s bottom looked patchy but quite presentable.  It certainly hasn’t affected Bruce’s performance at all – planes like a beaut.
At the same time there was also a leak in the tubing, aft portside.  I stuck my finger into it and enlarged it a bit, I guess, but with a view to inserting a piece of repair material/patch  on the inside, as well as a patch on the outside.  For the inside, I deflated the  tube, inserted a  patch (lost it but found it again after digging around inside with my finger) and covered it, and the edges of the hole on the  inside of the tube, with glue using an ice-cream stick.  After a short while (it was a hot day) and when the glue was dryish to touch I pressed the patch and the tube together.   I also partially inflated the tube to assist the inside patch to stick to the inside of the tube ie air pressure forcing the patch against the inside tube.   I then did basically the same with a patch on the outside.  It has never leaked since. 
Bruce was feeing a bit down in the dumps & needed a make-over!
Gas Conversion.  We had been on propane since we purchased the boat but, in Europe, they don’t use it.  Each country has its own gas system, with various bottles and fittings, or there is the ubiquitous ‘camping gas’ that is available all over the Mediterranean.  We went for the camping gas solution, had the appropriate fittings professionally installed, and then purchased four bottles (they’re not very big)  – one each for the stove and the barbecue, plus two spares.  It’s not expensive – about 15 Euro per refill, except for Gibraltar where it was 30 Euro, until I found I could slip over the border to the middle of La Linea where it was half the price and easier to purchase. The guy in Gibraltar you have to catch when he’s there at his warehouse, which is unpredictable.

Another Great Awakening.  While in Lagos I had an opportunity to assist a 70+ gentleman to  take his boat from boatyard launching around to his permanent berth in the next door marina.  I had visions that I might have to do this myself so I was very pleased to be offered this opportunity.  The yacht was about 40’ or so and had power operated  furlers as well as a bow thruster.  He berthed his boat in a strong wind, albeit almost bow on, with familiarity and dash.  I was impressed.  I complimented him on how well he had the boat set up and on his skippering, of course.  He replied, quite simply with  words to the effect, “I love this life and want to keep doing it for as long as I can, hence I’ve set the boat up as best I can to help me manage it”.  Duh, why didn’t I think of that?!!!

We even had time for a few afternoon swims this year
 

No comments:

Post a Comment