Monday, January 11, 2016

2014: Repairs in the Marina

Marmaris, Turkey: Part 1

(Finally there's a bit of time to update the H460 blog...between bouts of boat maintenance and house renovations!)

Life on the Hard - with unsurpassed views
Sails Cleaned and UV Stitching Replaced.  I took up an offer at the marina sailmakers in 2013 to have the sails washed and inspected when we stored the boat on the hard in Marmaris.  It was all quoted and we left the sails with the sailmaker to pick up on return in 2014.  I left a deposit (payment of 50% was what the rules said) and, I noted accordingly on their invoice as the sailmaker doing the paperwork said she was not going to issue a receipt just now but when I paid fully next year.  Okey, when in Rome …  To cut a long story short, when I went to pick up the sails she denied any payment having been made.  I pointed out my note and she said ‘this has never happened before … la la la … but I was not backing down.  So, she reluctantly accepted my point and the balance.  I complained to the sailmaker manager only to find out that everyone working there is family so no real point taking it further with that lot.  I was quite prepared to take it up with the marina manager but not really necessary as it turned out. 
All the stitching on the UV covers was redone however, so overall I got what I paid for.  Big lesson, whenever making a payment always get some receipt or, if in Greece where they don’t know about receipts, make some note of any payments, like I did with this lot.
Bike Bags.  Before our falling out I had also purchased a couple of big old sail bags quite cheaply and we use them to store our bikes in – much neater and good protection from the elements as we put the bikes in the dinghy on its davits when sailing.
I also needed my continuous furling line replaced but, at this stage, the sailmaker was not interested, for obvious reasons.  For my solution, see below.
I should also have included the webbing on the clew of the mainsail to be restitched, but didn’t (my fault) and paid the price - more on that later too.
 
A very professional launch in Marmaris
Boat Detailing.  At the marina, very shortly after being placed in a cradle on the hard in 2013, I was quickly approached by a few of the private tradespeople that occupy their own workshops around the wall of the marina.  I accepted one quote to polish the topsides and stainless steel and also to undertake professional gelcoat repairs to hairline cracks and other minor scratches and repairs that have appeared over the years on the deck and topsides.  It also included one coat of antifouling to the bottom and he also raised the waterline around the stern as requested.  All for a very reasonable price.  He also undertook to wash the boat down each month while we were at home and that he would let me know when he had done so each time.  He gave me contact details of previous customers whom I contacted and they were generally pleased with his work.  One said don’t make the final payment until the boat is back in the water as his staff did not do the final anti fouling on the spots on the hull that can’t be done while the boat is in its cradle.  As it turned out on the launch day it was more convenient for me to do it myself anyway.
All the work was carried out as promised except I had to chase him up about the wash downs each month.  When I did enquire he answered promptly and also gave me updates on the work to be, and being, done.  He only required a very small deposit before I left, a part payment shortly after I returned, and then the balance on completion of all the work ie when the last dabs of paint were put on when the boat was picked up for relaunching .  Highly recommended providing you take an ongoing interest in progress etc.
Turkey's coast is a picture postcard delight

No comments:

Post a Comment