Saturday, July 13, 2024

2022: Time for Some WJ3 Work

2022 Mid Jul to Mid Oct 

In 2022, I travelled to WJ3 alone, to spend three months checking on the boat’s condition and to carry out as many repairs and maintenance chores I possibly could achieve in that time.  I'll begin with these odds and ends:

Cell Phone Dramas

There has always been a problem with organising local cell phone connections in the US for us Aussies.  For example, many companies require a social security number, which leaves out many plans.  In the past we had used sim cards from home (with an AU phone number) though not many local businesses liked to return our calls (ostensibly international rates although we were in the same local area most times!).  

Following Covid, a few of our travel sim providers folded, so we were back to square one this year!  You certainly do not want to be paying roaming rates for a few weeks, let alone 6 months.  We've tried various solutions over the years;  its just one of those services that continues to evade practical solutions.  Very frustrating when all you want is to talk to a knowledgeable tradie about your boat's issues - and we all know there's plenty of those... 

Non Skid on Deck Recess and In Between Forward Hatches

There is a recess on top of the coach house which used to hold a small solar panel.  The solar panel had long since gone and I never filled the recess.  So, it was often full of water when it rained.  To remedy this, I cut out a plywood panel from scrap I found in the boatyard, which was thick enough to fill the hole.  I fibre-glassed it with cloth,  sealed it in place with self tapping screws and sealant, then painted it with non-slip paint.  An easy fix.  Should have done it years ago!

While I was at it, I also masked off a small area between the two forward hatches where there was just bare fibreglass.  It was dangerously slippery when wet.  I painted it with non-slip paint, making a big difference to crew safety.  To match colours, I had taken a photo of the hull to the local hardware store (the ever-friendly Hurds Hardware in Deltaville) where we colour matched my paint.  It looks fine and now works a treat. 

Top Down Spinnaker Furler

In the interests of setting WJ3 up to be sailed single-handed, I purchased a Sveggen top down spinnaker furling kit from Rolly Tasker Sails.  Needless to say, it has yet to be fitted, except for the stanchion fairleads.  We had hoped to play with it but since this year our heading has been into and/or to windward there has simply been no need.  Next year, when we expect to head north, I’m looking forward to using it.  I might also try to utilise my new staysail whisker pole as a removable bowsprit since it is a fairly heavy section and a short pole.


No comments:

Post a Comment