Saturday, June 25, 2011

2011: More Repairs at the Marina

Deltaville Marina: Part 2

f.  Fridge.  The fridge stopped working after the Mate cleaned it last year – the freezer soldiered on as though nothing had happened.  The fridge had a new pressure valve installed ($300 thank you) and the whole system will have to be re-gassed by a technician.  An expensive fix but essential for crew morale (and the Captain’s appetite! Ed.).

g.  Engine Raw Water Impellers.  I replaced both the engine and generator water impellers, because it was suggested by some around here that this was a wise precaution to do each and every year.  I wasn’t convinced until I found that both of them each had a flap missing.  So, there you go, change them annually whether they need it or not, even if the owner's manual says otherwise or at least remove and inspect them for any damage, before replacing them.  Don’t forget the lubricant before you replace them. 

I also use a special impeller removing tool but there is insufficient room to be able to use the turning handle that it comes with – other engine bits and pieces get in the way.  Nevertheless, just being able to grasp the impeller with the two ‘arms’ is enough to get a decent grip on the impeller so that I can wiggle it out of the engine just using my hand.  I also have to lay on top of the engine when I do this and I can hardly see – all done by feel as the impeller faces aft and is on the side of the engine.  My generator has its water pump mounted on its front which, comparatively, makes it a joy to change impellers.

Installing antenna for HF radio - more RAT shots!
And Mast Steps come in handy too.
h.  Generator Raw Water Hose.  I had been watching this hose ever since I purchased the boat.  It seemed to be okay but, this year, I thought I would treat our venerable and hard working generator with a new hose.  Well, I replaced it with another new one of exactly the same size – 5/8’’ only to find that, on testing, it sucked its insides together, obviously seriously restricting water flow.  I then checked the fittings on the strainer and generator only to find they were ¾’’, not 5/8’’.  So, I replaced it with another new steel-reinforced ¾’’ hose and it works a treat – the generator loves me again.  I also replaced/tightened a couple of the other hose clips which had been allowing a few drips of water to escape.

i.  Primary Engine Fuel Filter Fittings.  R2D2 no longer looks like something from outer space; he is settled in looking more like a new filter with brand new elbow fuel line fittings. 

j.  Fridge Raw Water Strainer.  I replaced the wire strainer for the fridge – not a simple task as there are no brand names on these housings, so I had to purchase a complete fitting with some spare screens.  Screens also come with different sized openings so there you go.  Remember that you measure the size of the inside diameter of the hose that attaches to it ie ¾’’ in this case, not the 1’’ on the outside of the thread.  Needless to say, I got it wrong first off before realizing my mistake when the 1’’ strainer arrived and it was way too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment