Monday, June 13, 2011

2010: More Work in Deltaville

Deltaville Boatyard: Part 2

Outboard Hoist near Davits
Sail Wardrobe.  Plans were being hatched in 2009 for a storm trysail and cruising spinnaker when finances allow and these were added in 2010.  I ordered, via the internet and while in Australia, a cruising spinnaker and a storm trysail from the Rolly Tasker agent in the US, which were waiting for us on our arrival at the boatyard in Deltaville.  Couldn’t have been much easier!  I also did the same for a series drogue from Sailrite.

Outboard Hoist.  In Deltaville there is a shop - Nauti Nell’s - that, among other nautical nick-knacks, sells boat items on consignment.  We love visiting this place and, shortly after returning in 2010, I found an outboard hoist at a bargain price ie half new but the item was indeed new.  So, we now have a heavy duty stainless lifting hoist on the back of the boat, which has made lifting the heavy 15hp outboard a relative breeze.

Washdown Pump and Hose
Washdown Pump.  My Crew (anchor woman) called for a washdown pump (salt water) to be provided mainly for those occasions when the anchor is pulled up and covered in thick oozy clinging mud, which has been most of the trip since we entered the ICW at West Palm Beach in 2009.  When I installed the compost toilet up forward it freed up the toilet intake raw water pipe and so I installed a washdown pump in line, put in a deck fitting in the deck, and plumbed everything.  Electric wiring was provided by the, no-longer-needed, wiring for the forward holding tank pump.  So, a relatively simple task (once I had worked it all out) has made up-anchoring almost a pleasure for the First Mate.  Cost - about $200 by doing it myself.  I bought the long hose kit (50’) so that I could easily get to anywhere on the boat if needs be, and especially the stern when, one day, we catch a big fish and need to wash away the mess after cleaning it.  One has to have a dream!

Radar.  I purchased and installed a Furuno radar, attaching the antenna just above the lower spreaders. This was another internet purchase.  I must say that the Boat Yard were very good at taking deliveries for those of us who DIY.  I set the radar screen/panel just above the chart table and, yes, some would say that it should be at the helm in the cockpit but I prefer my navigation electronics at the chart table.
The new radar (WJ3 in the Deltaville Marina)
Freshwater Plumbing.  The pressure freshwater system uses a fairly common PVC system (available in most hardware stores in the US) whereby hoses are routed and joined using a range of press-on-and-screw fittings.  It works quite well but the fittings do tend to crack – perhaps it’s just old age or they might be too tight perhaps.  So, I have had to replace a number of them as they leak when they crack.  So, I monitor the freshwater system fairly regularly and listen for any intermittent noises from the pump, which might indicate that there is a leak somewhere. I also carry a range of spares and check said fittings to ensure they do not work loose with vibration of the pipes over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment