Saturday, June 4, 2011

Jacksonville: Down on City Dock

City Dock, on St Johns River: 2009

To avoid damage from any further lightning strikes we usefully employed
jumper leads (connected to the stays and dropped in the water) at any
sign of bad weather.  An Old Sailor's Trick or Old Wives' Tale...

While we were docked in Jacksonville at the free town dock, we sought advice about repairing lightning damaged electronics.  This was an expensive lesson for no new information, and in the end, I removed the black boxes and took them home to Australia where I knew that I had time for repairs to be undertaken (and not be in a rush to escape hurricane season in Florida).  I could also be more certain of advice and that items could be repaired in appropriate manufacturers’ service centres.

In the USA the fuel injector pump started to leak around the edges/gasket, so I removed it myself and had it professionally repaired/serviced at a diesel engine shop in Jacksonville.  I had to refit it myself due to time restraints – no leaks since.   The shop was some distance out of Jacksonville CBD, so the bike got a good work-out that day – so did I in the heat!  When putting the pump back in the generator I had an awful experience when a locking pin fell inside the generator.  I eventually recovered it after about an hour or more ‘fishing’ around.  Needed a beer or two that night to replace lost body fluids!  It sure was hot in Jacksonville.
Loads of traffic on the river to Jacksonville

No comments:

Post a Comment